Chili Oil Ramen
I love this. It’s not that hard to make, and if you plan things out correctly you can multithread a lot of the work here. For example, while the water for the noodles is heating up, you can prep the bowl of spices for the chili oil. You can also cook the egg while the noodles cook, but you’ll need to plate the egg separately if you want to use the same skillet for heating the canola oil for the chili oil.
|Nongshim Spicy Ramen||1 bag|
|Freshly Ground Black Pepper||4-5 grinds|
|Balsamic Vinegar||1 tsp|
|Sesame Seeds, fresh or roasted||1 tsp|
|Garlic, minced||1 clove|
|Canola Oil or other neutral oil||2 tbsp|
|Chives or Green Onions, finely chopped||2-4 stalks|
- Following the instructions on the bag of ramen, cook noodles.
- 3 minutes for al dente
- Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking
- Put 2/3rds of the soup packet, 4-5 grinds of black pepper, balsamic vinegar, sesame seeds, and minced garlic to a bowl
- Heat the canola oil in a saucepan until just before smoking. Pour the oil into the bowl. Stir the oil in with the contents of the bowl, then stir in the noodles
- Add chopped chives
- Optionally, add one Chinese-style fried egg