Originally sourced from a Company’s Coming cookbook, with some variations over time.
Scales up linearly. Two batches will fit into a 6-quart (?) slow cooker. Not sure about 3 batches. Makes a great dinner that can be made as hot and spicy as you want
|Lean Ground Beef||1 lb||454g|
|Chopped Onion||1 cup||250 ml|
|Green Pepper, Chopped||1||1|
|Canned kidney beans, with liquid||14 oz||398 ml|
|Canned sliced mushrooms, drained||10 oz||284 ml|
|Condensed tomato soup||10 oz||284 ml|
|Chipotle Chili Powder (cut with Cyanne pepper to reduce heat as required)||1 tsp||5 ml|
|Seasoning Salt||1/4 tsp||1.25 ml|
|Sugar||1 tsp||5 ml|
|Salt||1/2 tsp||2.5 ml|
|Pepper||1/8 tsp||0.5 ml|
|Old Cheddar Cheese, grated (to serve with)|
|Cocoa powder (optional)||1 tbsp||15 ml|
- Scramble-fry ground pork. Drain any excess fat.
- Dice the onion and green pepper. Aim for pieces just under 1cm3
- Combine everything into the slow cooker. Stir well.
- 6-7 hours on Low
- 3-3.5 hours on High
Stir before serving. Serve with grated cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.
- Keeps in the fridge for about 1 week after cooking
- Freezes and thaws well. When making large batches, put into single-serving containers. One serving for a whole meal is about 2 scoops of a ladel.