- In a small sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour. Let sit for a minute.
- Whisk in the milk, then season with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
- Reduce heat and stir in 1 cup of the cheese.
- Place a half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish.
- Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top.
- Top with some paprika for color.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350°F.
- The original recipe called for 1 tsp of salt. I felt like this was too much.
- I did 4 dashes of cayenne pepper to add more heat. This was much better.
- 2 cups of cheese feels more appropriate.