Work/life balance involves ensuring you keep your work and personal lives separate and your work life doesn’t interfere with your personal life.
Especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s easy to have work bleed into your personal life. We are increasingly in an always-on work environment, and if you have an international team, 5pm doesn’t mean that your whole team is offline for the day.
- Set up quiet hours for email, instant messaging, or other systems you get notified from. Don’t get notifications outside of working hours.
- Set your office hours in your email client, if it’s supported. If not, you can
put this information in your email signature or IM status.
- My instant messaging status provides instructions on how to get in touch for production emergencies.
- Plan your day. Dedicate time to the tasks you need to get done.
- Turn off your work computer after your day is over.
- Burnout check. How are you feeling? Is burnout setting in?
- Overtime. How often in the past month have you worked more than your regularly-scheduled amount? Is the total amount going down month-to-month?
- Time Off. When was the last time you took vacation? Do you have vacation scheduled? If not, schedule time off.
- Productivity Blocker: blocks productivity sites so you can relax (browser addon, Chrome only)