A theme is a looser version of a New Year’s resolution. I first learned about the idea of a theme from CGP Grey’s theme video.
The general process is:
- Find a word or short phrase that resonates with you. Describe your theme as the “Year of X” or the “Season of Y”.
- Consider this theme every time you make a decision.
If your theme is “The Season of Health”, consider:
- Biking or walking to the grocery store rather than driving
- When walking your dog, walk one more block than you normally would
- Avoid buying the unhealthy snack and instead get a healthier one
- Do five push-ups in between meetings at work
If your theme is “The Year of Novelty”, consider:
- Buying a different snack at the grocery store than you typically would
- Take a different route to/from work
- Travel somewhere for vacation rather than staying home
- Grab drinks with a friend on a whim