The CODE Method is a four-step process for capturing information in a Second Brain or other Personal Knowledge Management (PKM) system.
The steps are:
- Capture. You can’t capture everything, so touch on only what resonates with you. This is a gut feeling; don’t overthink it.
- Organize. Digital notes can be reorganized as needed. An option is to organize to help you move a project forward.
- Distill. Get to the point (see: Minto Pyramid).
Have the first line of a note be the distilled summary so you can easily refer
- Remember: you’re not a note-taker, you’re a note-giver.
- Express. Your PKM system should help you create. If you don’t use what you’ve collected, it doesn’t have value (at least not yet). What you create with your knowledge should be tailored to what you excel at.